Sunday, October 3, 2010

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. ~ Douglas Adams

I think this may be a hard one for many of us to deal with, especially the Alpha types, especially myself.  We like to believe that once we intend on doing something, that intention will turn into getting it done, if not then wasn't it a waste of time?  As achievers/over achievers, we love to set goals, meet deadlines, have a plan, implement and complete it successfully, meaning do whatever it takes to get it done.  This can be a very successful way of being, but it is often a very stressful, unintentionally painful, and costly way of being.  Meaning what you sacrifice in return could be far greater then what you gain in return because what we sacrifice is what we need in our lives, to live, be happy, survive long term, and be overall, more successful, productive, joyful and abundant for the rest of our lives.

For example, I didn't intend to have 2 children, but having 2 children ended up being the best thing that ever happen in my life.  I didn't intend to leave NYC after living there for 16 years very comfortably and securely, but moving to San Diego, CA is probably one of the best decisions for my life, children, family and businesses.  And for many of us, we didn't intend for the economy, businesses, the market place to be in a recession, and be so bad, but whether you see it now or later, this period may be one of the best periods of your life.  If not in wealth, in experience, knowledge, perhaps a life you never intended, but that you enjoy more, makes you happier, feel better about, and mean more to you now then ever before.  A place where you didn't intend to be, but instead, you ended up where you needed to be...

In Love, Light, & Luxury,

James Pham
EnlighTea Cafe : ) 

12 comments:

  1. So true. We have dreams, which do not always come true or even close, despite our best efforts.

    Being able to appreciate what is, helps so much.

    If we can only be happy if all goes according to our plan, we will not be happy, because life has a way of following its' own path, sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Repost of comment by Anila Whitney Miller

    Hi James! I tried to comment on your blog page, but it won't allow me to post a comment from my blackberry.

    I agree with your viewpoint. Oftentimes, more often than not, we get what we need over what we think we want. Like you, I had predicted and focused on a different route for my life. Lived in the Bahamas with no plan of coming to live here..but life exchanged Paradise Island for Balboa Island. No plans for kids due to 3 large fibroids. Life exchanged the 3 fibroids for 3 kids.

    I planned to retire early, move to the coast of Portugal and write books. I am probably never going to retire now and have exchanged writing books for writing a journal and daily "Love letters to my little women" essays.

    Life prescribes what's best for us. If we're smart, we accept that life will unfold no matter how we "fold" our goals..and we are best off being grateful- each pleasure, each pain..is merely giftwrapping for what lies within..

    I love being a mum, I love having my own loving family, I love that I work where I do - that my life has meaning and purpose and that I am helping shape little lives.

    Thank you for sharing your blog posts with me, you always make me think before bed and to bow my spirit in gratitude to life for shredding my "map".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anila, thank you so much for your comment and for sharing your beautiful thoughts with us all. Sorry for not being able to post a comment from your blackberry, we have enable comments to be made by anyone w/out having to be a registered guest, we hope this will allow your comments to be posted directly to our blogs in the future! Continue to have a blessed day and life...

    EnlighTea Cafe : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a touring musician, I always disliked NYC compared to other cities. I could not handle the buzz.In 1994 I came to visit a friend for two weeks,got a gig and here I am some sixteen years later.
    Twelve years ago I voluntarily coached five people in a program with no intentions. Now I have a life coaching practice after repeated requests from friends for coaching.
    Point is, sometimes even when you have no intentions life takes you where you need to be, provides situations you need to experience.
    So proud to have been a part of the Enligh Tea experience.
    Best always,
    T

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dear James....

    Just what I needed to read this morning!!
    You are an inspiration and a blessing!!

    I am loving your blog!!

    Elle :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Elle, thank you so much for your loving thoughts and support! We are soo very grateful to have you as part of our EnlighTea community!! : D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tony,

    You ARE a precious part of our EnlighTea experience and community, have been, are, and I pray will be for a very very long time!! God willing and God Bless you man! ;-)

    In Love, Light, & Luxury,

    James Pham : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Suzette Your thoughts and wisdom always appreciated and loved...thank you for being a part of us and us a part of you!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a two year degree program, usually divided into five semesters. A couple of major accrediting agencies encompass most of those. You will also get the chance to participate in discussions along with your fellow students.
    Also visit my homepage ... best way to fight depression naturally

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you remember the page number in the book by any chance?

    ReplyDelete